WHAT ARE THE COOKIES AND WHY DO WE USE THEM ON THE WEB?
A cookie is a file that is downloaded to the user's device when accessing certain web pages to store and retrieve information about the navigation that is performed from said computer.
Cookies allow said website, among other things, to store and retrieve information about the user's decisions and habits.
WHAT KIND OF COOKIES DOES THE WEB USE?
Cookies, depending on the time they remain activated, can be divided into session or permanent cookies. The only type that is used on the web are:
- Persistent cookies: The data is still stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed during a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
Additionally, depending on the entity that manages them, the cookies can be classified as own or third party. In this website, only:
- Own cookies: Are those that are sent to the user's terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the editor himself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third party cookies: These are those that are sent to the user's terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the publisher, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through the cookies.
Regarding its purpose, the three types of cookies used on the web are the techniques, which allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application and the use of different options or services that exist in it. As for example, control traffic and data communication, identify the session, access restricted access parts, remember the elements that make up an order, perform the purchase process of an order, make the application for registration or participation in an event, use security elements during navigation, store content for the dissemination of videos or sound or share content through social networks; those of personalization, which are those that allow the user to access the service with some predefined general characteristics based on a series of criteria in the user's terminal, such as the language, the type of browser through which the user accesses the service, the regional configuration from where you access the service, etc .; and analytics, than those that allow the person responsible for them to monitor and analyze the behavior of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used in order to analyze the origin of the traffic that arrives at the web, analyze and study these data to be able to apply them and have a better positioning, and collect some navigation data or fields filled in by the same user.
HOW TO DISABLE THE COOKIES IN THE BROWSER?
Most browsers currently allow the user to configure if they wish to accept cookies and which ones. These settings are usually found in the 'options' or 'Preferences' menu of your browser.
These are the instructions to configure cookies in the main browsers:
- Chrome: Settings -> Show advanced options -> Privacy -> Content settings. For more information, you can check Google support or browser Help.
- Firefox: Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> History -> Custom Settings. For more information, you can check Mozilla support or browser Help.
- Internet Explorer: Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Settings. For more information, you can consult Microsoft support or browser Help.
- Safari: Preferences -> Security. For more information, you can check Apple support or browser Help.